It appears that Republicans, en masse, have lost their freaking minds. And a majority of American votes might actually vote for this party of morons?
- Michael Steele apparently believes that President Obama is the one that started the war in Afghanistan and that the position of the Republicans has been to oppose the war.
- Sharron Angle thinks that unemployment benefits should be curtailed so that all these lazy people on the dole will get back to work.
- Michelle Backmann doesn’t understand that the United States is already involved in a global economy.
- Joe Barton, among others, apologize to the CEO of BP on national TV for President Obama “shaking down” BP.
- Paul Rand thinks building an “underground fence” is a pretty swell idea to solve the problem of illegal immigration, but can’t explain exactly how an underground fence would work.
- John Boehner slams President Obama’s moratorium on deep water drilling, but supports putting a halt to deepwater drilling in the Gulf until we find out what exactly happened, apparently unaware that is kind of what “moratorium” means.
- Sarah Palin lies about her feelings about her dad who used to set bowling pins in Idaho, in front of a bowling exposition.
- Pamela Gorman apparently believes one of her big selling points to win an election is how well she can shoot a machine gun.
And these are only on the top of the “Crazy List” for the last couple of weeks. This insanity has been ongoing and getting worse for months. And we aren’t even talking about their political agitators like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.
These people seem to be certifiably insane to act as they do in public and expect their actions to be well received. It’s one thing to be a nutjob and keep it to yourself or act like a relatively sane person while out in public. It’s entirely another thing to believe acting like a lunatic will cause a majority of Americans to support you and your political party.
If Democrats were to go around saying stuff like this on a consistent basis, the press would be all over them and the Democratic Party would take decades to recover. But apparently, crazy is the new norm for the Republican Party, and they might actually make significant gains in the November election.
What a society we have constructed for ourselves. Act like a crazy bastard and get elected, and the media pretty much pretends this is normal.
UPDATE: Yes, President Obama certainly hasn't done much to energize the Democratic/Progressive base of voters. A number of us are pretty disenchanted with the Dems in power right now. But truly, I would prefer this bunch of Dems 1000 times over than the cast of Gilligan's Island that the Republicans are putting out there. If you don't want to vote for Democrats, then at least go to the polls or vote by mail to vote AGAINST the Republicans. I don't think we can even imagine what might occur if these jokers get back in power. I imagine that impeaching President Obama will be one of the very first priorities.