Monday, January 07, 2008

Portugal's amazing airport runway





The airport's runway is 2781 meters long, of which 1000 meters of the runway is supported by 180 pillars, each pillar 50 meters height (about 17 floors tall). Surprisingly, the runway is designed to safely handle a Boeing 747.

Look at the cars parked below the runway.

It rather looks like an aircraft carrier. On land. With really long legs.

(Thanks to my buddy Wolfman for supplying these photos and technical info.)

Update: This post has been getting quite a lot of hits from people searching on the words in the title, such as "Portugal" and "airport". I have to say that these photos look like they were taken by a professional photographer and are probably under copywrite. They are in the state that I got them, without any identification or attribution. If someone were to tell me that they are under copywrite, I would certainly either delete them or post them with an attribution, as I did the pictures of the storm pictures with the ferry.

This is known as "covering one's behind", in case you didn't recognize it.

No comments: