Friday, August 03, 2007

O.K., Look. “Executive Privilege” does NOT mean “Anything That Might Embarrass Us.”


Via Firedoglake, here is Bush lackey, Scott Jennings, “answering a question” about what he does for the Federal Government.

Leahy: You work at the White House, you’re paid for by taxpayers, you work for the American people, I’m just asking you what kind of work you do.

Jennings: Sir I understand and based on my understanding of the letter I have from Mr. Fielding this falls under the president’s assertion of Executive Privilege and therefore I must respectfully decline to answer at this time.



This guy won’t even say what he does for a living?!? You gotta be kidding me. Not answering questions has become a lifestyle for members of the Bush administration, present and former. These people are just so rotten to the core. I can’t believe the amount of gall it takes for people like Lurita Doan, Alberto Gonzales, Monica Goodling, etc. etc. to get in front of congressional hearings and lie their butt off. “I don’t remember” becomes a non-defensible position when every single person testifying uses that “Get Out of Jail” card multiple times. I cannot remember which one this was, but one of these people testifying said, “I don’t remember” or “I can’t recall” 73 times in the same session. Well, at least they all showed up for THEIR testimony. Harriet Myers and Karl Rove just ignored their subpoenas.

Executive privilege is not inherent in the Constitution. If I did my reading correctly, this concept didn’t even show up until the Nixon administration, who used it, not surprisingly, to try to deflect questions into what his administration was doing behind the scenes.

All of this shows, to me, that the Bush administration has much to hide. Anyone who says otherwise is grasping at straws.

(Note: The cartoon is somewhat dated (different time, different scandal), but still relevant.)

No comments: