As I noted in a previous post about the shootings at the theater in Aurora, Colorado, there will continue to be these kinds of violent, random acts involving lunatics and guns, because this country lacks the political will to actually do anything.
But I was going to note that, since the pro-gun folks' favorite proposal is to let everyone have and carry arms, this means that people will really need to be armed to:
1) Go to the movies.
2) Go to a place of worship, regardless of religion or denomination.
3) Go to class, high school or college, or just be walking by a school.
4) Go out to a bar, even the "artsy" kind that you might find in Seattle.
5) Go to a museum, such as the Holocaust Museum.
6) Work in any organization that might be seen as supportive of "liberal" causes.
I got that list from events that have happened or almost happened in the last couple of years, and I didn't even have to think more than about 30 seconds.
I wonder when the pro-gun people might want to rethink their proposed approach. Does anyone really think that would be a credible deterrent when nutjobs with a grudge and a desire to be famous are involved? And how many more innocent people might get shot if, all of a sudden, there was a crossfire in any of these places (like in a dark movie theater filled with smoke and lots of confusion) that leaves people nowhere to flee?
What a crazy country this is. I guess it's a good thing that we really don't care what the rest of the world thinks of us, because the rest of the world thinks we are insane.