Friday, October 17, 2008

McCain: "One of the greatest frauds in voter history in this country..."

The other night at the (mercifully) last presidential debate, John McCain came up with a doozy of a line. It’s in the title, but I will repeat it here for full effect.

“ACORN is now on the verge of maybe perpetrating one of the greatest frauds in voter history in this country, maybe destroying the fabric of democracy.”


Well now. That’s frightening. Wow. “Maybe destroying the fabric of democracy” certainly sounds pretty damn scary. I’d rather they didn’t, if it’s all the same to them. I kinda like the fabric of our democracy as it is. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, et. al., picked it out, you know. I think we should keep it. What the hell is ACORN, anyway? I imagine that whole delivery would have helped McCain out a little more if more listeners had a clue about what McCain was on about. A sloppily run voter registration organization represents one of the greatest frauds in voter history in this country? He can’t really have said that, right? I mean, there was Florida in 2000 and possibly Ohio in 2004. There are proven cases, like the 2002 New Hampshire phone jamming “incident.” Maybe these are not truly examples of “voter fraud”, but if I were McCain, I don’t think I would really say much about irregularities that occur on Election Day.

Really, John, were you just practicing your hyperbole? ‘Cause you really suck at it, you know? Maybe you need to put a little more topspin on it.

No comments: