Friday, September 14, 2007

Looks like Bush is getting hammered in the press.

After his speech last night, he deserves it. Now, I will admit that I didn't watch Bush. I never do. I have a hard time controlling my urge to throw a brick through the television screen. He pisses me off just by the way he talks and acts, much less the stuff that he actually does say.

Apparently, Bush thinks that parts of Baghdad are returning to normal life, and there are 36 different nations there to fight an evil enemy that threatens an ally of ours.

Almost every single thing I have read today is pointing out how much of a fantasy Bush's speech represented. (Again, I will admit that I don't read the hard line conservative columnists or blogs.) I am heartened by the fact that our media is now not swallowing this baloney anymore. But Bush seems to think that he can "surge" 30,000 more troops into Iraq, keep them there for almost a year when the original plan was in weeks or months, and then announce a "reduction" in troop levels when manpower levels don't even go down to the pre-surge levels. What kind of moron thinks that the entire country will buy such nonsense?

I predict that Bush is going to be judged by history much harsher than LBJ. LBJ at least knew he was in a trap and didn't know what to do about it. Bush apparently thinks that if he repeats something often enough, not only will he come to believe it but that everyone else who hears him will as well.

I really don't want to get into a conversation with a really uber-conservative who originally thought the war in Iraq was a great idea and Bush could do no wrong. But I really wonder what they are thinking now.

No comments: